||The seat of the Sankey family in the 18th and 19th centuries, Coolmore was recorded by Wilson as the seat of Mr. Sankey in 1786. It was occupied by John Butler in 1814, by Matthew Villiers Sankey in 1837 and by Jacob Sankey in 1850. He held the property in fee and the buildings were valued at £37.15 shillings. In the second half of the 20th century Coolmore became a world famous stud for the breeding of race horses. The stud was set up in the late 1960s by Tim Vigors and continued by Vincent O'Brien, Robert Sangster and John Magnier.