Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Derry House (Ross)

Estate(s)
Townland Derry
Civil Parish Ross
PLU Clonakilty
DED Ross Carbery 57
County Cork
Barony East Carbery (West)
Description Family records indicate the original house at Derry was bought by Bryan Townsend, son of Richard, the Cromwellian officer, in the 1680s. This house was a short distance from the current house which was built by Reverend Horatio Townsend in the early years of the nineteenth century and was held in fee by Reverend Chambre Townsend in 1851 when it was valued at £44. Earlier, in 1786, Wilson referred to Derry as a Townsend seat. It was substantially damaged when it was burnt in April 1921 during the War of Independence. . At the time it was the residence of Alexander Sullivan, a well-known barrister. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted that it was still derelict following the 1921 burning. The centre portion of the house and a substantial farm still exist at the site.
Derry House (courtesy of Col.John Townsend)

Property Location