||The castle of Carrignavar was from the mid 17th century the seat of this the senior branch of the McCarthy clan. Bence Jones writes that Carrignavar is a late 19th century castellated house incorporating the remains of the old castle. Lewis refers to Carrignavar as the seat of Justic McCarthy in 1837 and Justin McCarthy junior was resident at the time of Griffith's Valuation when the buildings were valued at £28. Bought by John Sheedy in the 20th century and sold by him in the 1950s to the Sacred Heart Fathers. The house is part of their college complex.