Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Marino

Estate(s)
Townland Marino
Civil Parish Clonmel
PLU Cork
DED Queenstown Rural 103, 105
County Cork
Barony Barrymore
Description The present house was built on the foundations of an earlier house which was burnt in the 1860s. Wilson refers to this earlier house on Great Island as the seat of Savage French in 1786. Marine remained the home of a branch of the French family and sold by Colonel Stuart French in the early 1970s. The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage entry states that this house was previously the home of the mathematician Philip Ronayne. Valued at £32 in the early 1850s it was occupied by Thomas G. French who held the property from Thomas R. Sarsfield. Knight writes that Thomas Sarsfield of Doughcloyne leased the lands of Ronayne's Grove, otherwise Hodnet's Wood, otherwise Marino to Savage French in 1755. Thomas G. French is also recorded as the occupier in 1814 and 1837.
Marino (www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location