||In 1750 Smith wrote that Kilcrea was formerly the seat of the Earls of Clancarty, purchased by Captain Hedges from the Trustees of the Hollow Blade Company. In 1786 Wilson mentions the ruins of the castle and abbey of Kilcrea, near to which was a house named Snugborough, the residence of Mr. Keeffe. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Gibbons was the occupier of Kilcrea House. He held the house valued at £20 from John Hawkes [who was leasing from Richard T. Rye]. This house is now a ruin.
In March 1851 and July 1853 the estate of William Edward Ellis at Kilcrea, Desart, including Kilcrea House and 422 acres was advertised for sale. It was held on a lease dated 1740 Jonathan Ashe to Jeremiah Sullivan. William E. Ellis was the tenant of the house in 1853. William Sullivan Ellis of Kilcrea was issued with a certificate with respect to the killing of game in 1799 (see "The New Cork Evening Post" 24 March 1800).