||In 1750 Charles Smith recorded Macroom Castle as the residence of Richard Hedges Eyre. Lewis wrote in 1837 that Macroom was "till very lately..the joint property of the Earl of Bandon and Robert Hedges Eyre" but was then the sole property of the latter, who had converted the ancient castle into an elegant modern mansion. Held by the Honourable William Henry White Hedges in fee at the time of Griffith's Valuation, when the buildings were valued at £80. Slater records it as being a seat of Lord Ardilaun in 1894. Macroom Castle was burnt in 1922. In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association Survey gathered a detailed history of the building, noting that "it was burnt in all about five times" in its long history.
The impressive gateway is all that remains.