||A house of mainly early 18th century origin with 19th century additions located beside the village of Doneraile. Wilson, writing in 1786, describes it as "the magnificent and beautiful mansion, with extensive parks, gardens and demesnes". At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was valued at £140. In 1942 the Irish Tourist Association Survey stated that the property had been bought by William St. Leger from Sir Walter Welmond and John Spenser, sonf of the poet Edmund Spenser. It was unoccupied in the 1940s and the agent was Mr. Hamilton. The house was sold to the Land Commission in 1969 by the wife of the 7th Viscount. The building was first restored by the Irish Georgian Society and since the early 1990s by various State bodies. It and the 400 acre demesne are now under the care of the Office of Public Works.