Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Currymount

Estate(s)
Townland Currymount
Civil Parish Bregoge
PLU Mallow
DED Churchtown 238
County Cork
Barony Orrery and Kilmore
Description Lewis gives J. O'Leary as the proprietor of Currymount in 1837. By the time of Griffith's Valuation Currymount was held by Alexander McCarthy in fee and was valued at £7.10 shillings. Hajba writes that Alexander McCarthy left Currymount to his brother-in-law, James Morrogh, third son of James Morrogh of the city of Cork. The house was considerably extended post Griffith's Valuation. James McCarthy of Currymount owned 259 acres in the 1870s. In the late 19th century Eustace Morrogh Bernard lived at Curraghmore. Bought by the Purcells of Burton Park in the second decade of the 20th century as a dower house and passed by marriage to the Bird family. The Irish Tourist Association Survey refers to it as the seat of Major Bird in the 1940s and also that the Morrogh-Bernard family resided here before going to live at Byblox.
Currymount (www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location