Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Castle Freke

Estate(s)
Townland Castlefreke
Civil Parish Rathbarry
PLU Clonakilty
DED Rathbarry 56
County Cork
Barony Ibane & Barryroe
Description At the time of Griffith's Valuation, it was held in fee by Lady Carbery and valued at £90. In 1906 it was held by the trustees of Lord Carbery and valued at £136 . The existing building at Castlefreke was constructed at the end of the eighteenth century, replacing an earlier castle which had belonged to the Barry family, the original owners of the estate. It was modified in the late nineteenth century but subsequently gutted by fire in 1910 and restored by 1913. It was sold by John, 10th Lord Carbery, after WWI. In the early 1940s the Irish Tourist Association survey reported that it was unoccupied but in good repair and owned by the Land Commission. Castlefreke fell into ruin throughout the twentieth century but a portion of it has since been restored
Castlefreke as it was (http://homepage.eircom.net/~rathbarry/index.htm)
Castlefreke (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location