Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Burton Park

Estate(s)
Townland Burton Park
Civil Parish Churchtown
PLU Mallow
DED Churchtown 238
County Cork
Barony Orrery and Kilmore
Description The original house built by Sir John Perceval and his descendants was burnt down in the Jacobite War 1689-1691. A late Georgian house was built to replace it by the [3rd or 4th] Earl of Egmont which was remodelled in the late 19th century. Burton Park was leased to the Purcells in the 19th century. It was occupied by the Reverend Matthew Purcell in 1814 and 1837 and by his son John in the early 1850s when the house was valued at £34. Passed to the Ryans of Scarteen, county Limerick by marriage in the early 20th century. In the 1940s the Irish Tourist Association Survey noted Burton Park as one of the best examples of eighteenth century domestic architecture in county Cork. Still the home of the Ryan Purcell family.
Burton Park (www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location