Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Castle Bernard

Estate(s)
Townland Castlebernard
Civil Parish Ballymodan
PLU Bandon
DED Ballymodan 1
County Cork
Barony Kinalmeaky
Description Described by Lewis in 1837 as " a stately mansion, built in 1806, adjacent to the site of the former castle" and originally known as Castle Mahon. It was the seat of the Bernard family in the late 1770s and 1780s and then known as Castlebernard. Occupied by Viscount Bernard at the time of Griffith's Valuation and valued at £120. It was burnt in June 1921 and is now a ruin adjacent to Bandon Golf Club.
Castle Bernard (www.bandon-genealogy.com)
Caste Bernard ruin (National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, www.buildingsofireland.ie)

Property Location