Ryves Castle [Castle Jane]
||Ryves Castle, previously known as Castle Jane, was the home of the family of this name in the 18th and early 19th centuries. It is referred to as Castle Jane by Wilson in 1786 when he notes it as the seat of Mr. Ryves. By the 1830s however William H. Ryves of Ryves Castle appears to have moved to live in Brighton, as the birth of many of his children is recorded in the Limerick newspapers as having taken place there. In 1826 Fitzgerald records Ryves Castle as the residence of John Lowe. Lewis referring to the parish of Knocklong, notes that Thaddeus R. Ryan was resident at Castle Jane and that there was a vault of the Lowe family located in the grounds of Ryves Castle, that family having previously been its proprietors. For the parish of Ballyscanlan he records Ryves Castle as the residence of P. [T?] Ryan. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the house was valued at £29 and occupied and held in fee by William H. Ryves. In 1906 it was valued at £31 and was occupied by Thomas J. Franks. Later owned by Mr D. Fleming, this house is now demolished.