Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ash Hill Towers

Estate(s)
Townland Ash Hill
Civil Parish St Peters and St Pauls
PLU Kilmallock
DED Kilmallock 43f
County Limerick
Barony Coshlea
Description The residence of a branch of the Coote family in the 18th century, possibly held from the Barons Carbery. Ash Hill is referred to by Wilson as the seat of Chudleigh Coote in 1786. Bought by Eyre Evans from Chidley Coote in 1794 (see sale rental 6 July 1878). Eyre Evans held the property in fee throughout the first half of the 19th century. The Ordnance Survey Field Name Book describes this house as having "a most superb new front with towers at each end". At the time of Griffith's Valuation the buildings were valued at £50. Bence Jones writes that Ash Hill Towers became the residence of John Henry Weldon in the later 19th century. The Irish Tourist Association surveyor wrote in 1943 that the property was owned by Captain P.M. Lindsay, nephew of John H. Weldon, who bought the house from the Evans family in 1880. Still extant, this house is the centre of a stud.
Ash Hill Towers circa 1914 (http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/detail/?id=71929)
Ash Hill Towers (Irish Tourist Association, Courtesy of Limerick Studies)
Ash Hill Towers (www.buildingsofireland.ie/)

Property Location