Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Castle Oliver

Estate(s)
Townland Castleoliver
Civil Parish Particles
PLU Kilmallock
DED Particles 39
County Limerick
Barony Coshlea
Description The original Castle Oliver or Clonodfoy was the home of the Oliver family in the 18th and early 19th centuries. It was replaced by the present building in the mid 19th century. In 1814 Castle Oliver was occupied by George Fosbery who may have been employed by the Olivers. In 1837 Lewis described the castle as being in a very dilapidated state. It then belonged to R. O. Gascoigne of the county of York whose bailiff resided in it. The new building was designed by George Fowler Jones and built in the Scottish baronial style for the Oliver Gascoignes. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the castle was valued at £75 and the house at £48 and both were in the possession of Elizabeth O. Gascoigne and her brother-in-law, Frederick Charles Trench. The house was eventually inherited by Elizabeth's step-grandson, William Cosby Trench. He was the occupier in 1906 when it was valued at £125. Restored in the early 21st century it now provides self catering accommodation and is a venue for functions such as weddings.
Castle Oliver (http://www.castleoliver.ie/)
Castle Oliver LM1989.0153 (Courtesy of Limerick Museum)

Property Location