||Maurice O'Connell held several properties at Carhan Lower, at the time of Griffith's Valuation, including a mill, valued at £18, which he was leasing to Patrick Trant. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books record that the mills had been built by Messers Trant and Barry c.1828.
There were two other houses, one valued at £18, leased to James Barry, MD, and the second, valued at £6, leased to Rev. John Healy. Carhan House is named on the 1st edition OS map as "in ruins". Lewis notes "Cashen" as the old mansion of the O'Connell family in 1837. In the 1830s, the Ordnance Survey Name Books describe Carhan House as "a rectangular building, having a kitchen built up to the rere, all two stories high. The walls of its ruins are standing but in a state of dilapidation". The Irish Tourist Association Survey in 1943 described the original house as "in the shape of the letter T with the kitchen apartments nearest the river". In 1814 Leet refers to one property in Carhan as the residence of James O'Connell and to a second as the address of Miles McSweeney.