Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hutson


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hodson/Hutson/Hudson A family descended from Bishop John Hodson of Elphin and closely connected to the Hodson family of Hollybrook, county Wicklow, baronets. In the 1830s the gentleman's seat at Tooloobaun is recorded as the property of Mr. Hutson. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, John R. Hudson was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Athenry. In November 1870 over 200 acres at Tooloobane, barony of Athenry, the property of Henry Hodson, were offered for sale in the Landed Estates court. The Irish Times reported that this property was sold to Lord Ashtown for £4,500. Over 1000 acres belonging to this estate, located in the barony of Kilconnell, were offered for sale at the same time. It would appear that the Johnston family, who had leased large sections of the Kilconnell estate, purchased some of it at this time. O'Gorman notes that Johnson held a lease for three lives of Hodson property in the 1850s and acquired the entire estate in the 1870s.
Johnston (Ahascragh) Sir Henry Grattan Bellew records the Johnston family as originally Scottish weavers. O'Gorman states that James Johnston took a lease of lands in the parish of Fohenagh originally belonging to the Hodson family of Tooloobane. In 1873 he acquired their entire Fohenagh estate in the Landed Estates Court. By 1906 a substantial amount of the Hampstead estate was in his possession including Hampstead House. Townlands in the parish of Fohenagh were sold to the tenants by the Irish Land Commission in the 1920s.