Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Burke (Clanricarde)

Family title

Marquis of Clanricarde

Description

The family were originally de Burgo but later became more generally known as Burke. However, in the nineteenth century they also used the surname de Burgh.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Burke (Clanricarde) The Clanricarde estate was one of the largest in county Galway. Lord Clanrickard, a minor, is listed as a resident proprietor in 1824. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey in the 1830s the Clanricarde estate is recorded as the direct owner of townlands in the civil parishes of Clontuskert, Grange, Killeely, Killora, Killeenadeema, Kilmeen, Killogilleen, Kilconickny, Loughrea, Oranmore and St. Nicholas. In 1855 Robert D'Arcy acted as an agent for the Clanricarde estate and was leasing 586 acres and buildings valued at £26 from the Clanricarde estate at Ballygarraun in the parish of Isertkelly, barony of Loughrea. By the 1870s the Marquis of Clanricarde was the owner of over 52,000 acres in county Galway. The family also held an estate at Warnford, Hampshire, England. In 1915 an offer was accepted from the Congested Districts Board for the sale of over 46,000 acres of the Clanricarde estate.
D'Arcy (Woodville) Robert D'Arcy is described as a resident proprietor in 1824. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he was leasing this property from the Clanricarde estate. The D'Arcys appear to have worked for many years as land agents for the Clanricardes. Francis D'Arcy of Woodville owned 1,590 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. Kelly noted that, in relation to lands in the Craughwell area, two daughters of the D'Arcy family later entered the convent in Loughrea and the lands in Craughwell were sold to the tenants.