Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kirwan (Blindwell)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Kirwan (Blindwell) Descended from a younger son of the Kirwans of Gardenfield, the Kirwans of Blindwell, built up a substanial estate in the 18th century. Martin Staunton Kirwan held 2 townlands and islands in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation and his Blindwell estate included lands in the parishes of Kilconla and Dunmore, baronies of Dunmore and Ballymoe. The Kirwans had intermarried with the Lynchs of Drimcong and the Moycullen property may have come into the family as a result. The Kirwans owned almost 7,000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The male line of this family died out in 1881 following the death of Thomas Staunton Kirwan. His widow married Ormsby Bowen Miller of Milford in 1890 and they lived at Blindwell in the early 20th century. By March 1916 Mrs Miller had accepted offers from the Congested Districts' Board for over 5,000 acres of her estate.
Kirwan (Gardenfield) An estate in the parish of Tuam, county Galway, was restored to Martin Kirwan and his eldest son Richard, by a grant of 1677 and included Tobberkeigh (Blindwell) and Ballyetrasna (Gardenfield). The Gardenfield estate amounting to 1,843 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in April 1854 by James and Robert Kirwan. It appears that the estate was not sold as Henry Kirwan of Gardenfield still owned 1,403 acres in county Galway and 492 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. The burial vault of this family is in Kilbannon cemetery.