Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smyth (New Park)

Description

The main estate of the Smyth family was at Barbaville, county Westmeath.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Geoghegan/O'Neill (Bunowen) Art Geoghegan of Castletown, county Westmeath, was transplanted to the confiscated O'Flaherty lands at Bunowen, parish of Ballindoon, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, by the Cromwellian Commissioners. During the 18th century the Geoghegans became Protestants and at the beginning of the 19th century changed their surname to O'Neill. The Geoghegans were originally one of the septs of the south Uí Neill. John Augustus O'Neill, Member of Parliament, succeeded to the estate in 1830 but after the Famine he was in severe financial difficulty and sold most of his estate in 1852 to Valentine O'Connor Blake of Towerhill. At the time of Griffith's Valuation a Thomas Geoghegan held a townland in both the parishes of Moyrus and Ballindoon, barony of Ballynahinch.
Smyth (New Park) In 1808 Ralph Smyth of Barbaville, Collinstown, county Westmeath, married Eliza daughter and heiress of Matthew Lyster of New Park, county Roscommon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation their eldest son William Barlow Smyth of Barbaville, held 3 townlands in the parish of Ballindoon, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, previously part of the Bunowen estate of the O'Neills. Pádraig Lane states that Smyth bought 2,796 acres from the O'Neills. A copy conveyance in the Joyce, Mackie and Lougheed collection documents the William Barlow Smyth's purchase of Bunowenbeg from the O'Neills in 1852. The collection includes a rentroll of the Smyth's estate at Callow, Dolan, Bunowenbeg and part of Ballyconnelly, dated 19 November 1877. In the 1870s William Smyth of county Westmeath owned 2,449 acres in county Galway, 2,108 acres in county Westmeath and 478 acres in county Meath. William B. Smyth was succeeded by his brother Henry Mathew Smyth in 1886. Henry Smyth of New Park, county Roscommon, married a Coote of Ballyfin and at the time of Griffith's Valuation held lands in the parishes of Kiltoom and Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In November 1860, over 1,800 acres in county Roscommon belonging to Henry Mathew Smyth were advertised for sale. The purchasers included Messers Gannon, Gaynor, Keogh and Meredith. On 9 June 1859 William Tuthill conveyed Drominagh to Frederick Smythe and in July 1870s Frederick Smythe put the estate up for sale in the Landed Estates' Court.
Lyster (Lysterfield) The Lyster estate was in the parishes of Cam, Kiltoom and Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. The senior branch of the family resided at New Park in the parish of Kiltoom but the male line died out in 1806. In 1828 James Lyster of Lysterfield was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. By the mid 19th century the estate had been taken over by the Court of Chancery. Elizabeth Robinson Lyster who married Frederick Trench, Lord Ashtown in 1785 was a descendant of Anthony Lyster of Lysterfield who died in the 1740s. Descendants of Anthony's brother John resided at Lysterfield from the late 18th century and by the 1880s the head of the family was living in Ontario, Canada.
Levinge In the 1870s Marcus Anthony Levinge of Carnagh, Kiltoom, Athlone, county Roscommon and Enniscoffey House, Miltownpass, county Westmeath, owned 794 acres in county Roscommon and smaller acreages in counties Westmeath and Meath. He may have bought some of his county Roscommon lands from the sale of the Smyth estate in 1860. His county Roscommon estate was in the parishes of Kiltoom and St. Johns, barony of Athlone. By the early 20th century he was residing at New Park.
Ingoldsby (Cos Limerick & Clare) Henry and George Ingoldsby were Cromwellian soldiers who settled in county Limerick where they were granted lands in the mid 17th century. They were sons of Richard Ingoldsby and Elizabeth Cromwell. Henry Ingoldsby married a daughter of Sir Hardress Waller and George married Mary Gould, daughter of J. Goold and Thomasin daughter of Sir Thomas Browne of Hospital, county Limerick. Sir George Ingoldsby by his marriage to Mary Goold came to possess the lands of Corbally, north of Limerick city. The Reverend Fitzgerald records that he was also granted Ballybricken castle in the parish of Ludden, barony of Clanwilliam and a large tract of land around it. In 1712 his daughter Barbara married William Smythe of Barbavilla, county Westmeath. His son Richard Ingoldsby bought Carton in county Kildare in 1703 and represented Limerick city in Parliament from 1703 to 1712. Richard married Frances Naper of Loughcrew, county Meath and they had an only son Henry, who married a daughter of Sir Constantine Phipps. Henry Ingoldsby was a Lord Justice of Ireland and was Member of Parliament for Limerick city 1713-1714 and 1727-1731. He died in 1731 leaving two daughters Catherine and Frances his co heiresses. In 1734 Catherine married her cousin James Lennox Naper (later Dutton) of Loughcrew, a landowner in counties Meath and Westmeath. She died in 1742 leaving a son John Dutton, who died unmarried. By the 1730s the Ingoldsby estates were heavily encumbered, Carton was sold in 1738 to the Earl of Kildare. Frances was sent to live with her cousins the Blennerhassetts at Riddlestown, parish of Doondonnell, county Limerick. In 1743 she was abducted by Hugh Fitzjohn Massy (a first cousin of the 1st Baron Massy) from the rectory at Nantinan, barony of Connello Lower, where she was staying with the rector Reverend Thomas Royse and his wife, who had Ingoldsby connections. Frances and Hugh were married and he acquired the Limerick estates of his wife. They had a son and a daughter. The son Hugh Ingoldsby Massy of New-Garden married Anne Nash in 1769 and they had a son also named Hugh Ingoldsby Massy. Sir George Ingoldsby's brother Henry Ingoldsby also became a baronet and was granted many denominations of land under the Cromwellian settlement in county Clare. Lodge refers to Charles Ingoldsby of Clonderalagh, county Clare, a younger son of Sir Henry Ingoldsby of Beggstown, county Meath. Charles Ingoldsby held an estate in the barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare at the beginning of the 18th century. His daughter Angel or Anne married Robert Dillon 7th Earl of Roscommon.