The Monivea estate, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, was acquired by the ffrenchs from the O'Kellys in the early 17th century. Confiscated by the Cromwellian Commissioners it was repurchased from Lord Trimlestown in 1702 by the family and it remained in their possession until the early 20th century. In the 18th century members of the family represented county Galway in Parliament and established the linen industry at Monivea. Arthur Young in his ''Tour of Ireland'' wrote extensively on the estate improvements made by Robert ffrench. The estate was mainly in the parishes of Killoscobe, Killosolan and Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. Robert Ffrench is recorded as the lessor of several townlands in the parish of Athenry, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway in both the Ordnance Survey Name Books and Griffith's Valuation. In the 1870s the estate exceeded 10,000 acres. In the late 19th century the estate was inherited by Kathleen ffrench who also owned large estates in Russia. She sold a large part of the Monivea estate to the Land Commission in 1905.