Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hunt

Description

The Hunts were a Warwickshire family who came to Ireland as Cromwellian soldiers. By the early 18th century they had estates in counties Dublin and Meath and in county Roscommon by the mid 18th century. John Hunt of Dublin (1752-1844) had 7 sons, including the Reverend John Hunt who owned land in county Roscommon, Edmund L. Hunt who held land in county Galway and James Hunt who founded the Hunt family of Danesfort, county Cork.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Hunt (Co Galway) The Hunt estate was centred on the house at Ballymantan, near Gort, in the mid-19th century. Edmund L. Hunt is recorded in the OS Name Books as agent for Richard Gregory of Coole in the 1830s. Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' records Edmund Lombard of Ballynamantan and of Headford, county Galway. They were descended from a Warwickshire family and connected with the Hunt family of Danesfort, county Cork.
Hunt (Co Roscommon) According to Burke's ''Landed Gentry'' (1904), John Hunt owned extensive estates in county Roscommon in the mid 18th century. He was a descendant of Thomas Hunt a captain in Colonel Chidley Coote's regiment of Horse. The Reverend John Hunt, grandson of John Hunt, owned an estate in the parishes of Athleague, Rahara, Dysart and Taghboy, barony of Athlone and Cloonfinlough, barony and county of Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. His younger brother Edmund Lombard Hunt held property near Gort and Headford, county Galway. In the 1870s the Reverend John Hunt of Clonee, county Meath, owned 977 acres in county Roscommon.
McDonnell (Lackan) In the 1870s Patrick McDonnell of Lackan House, Lecarrow, county Roscommon, owned 1,445 acres in that county. He is recorded as the occupier of Lackan House in the mid 1850s.