The Achesons bought property in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway in the 1860s, Shanboolard from E. Whitwell and Richard Reville's lease of Cartron. The sales rentals of Shanboolard in 1878 record that Alfred Ernest Acheson spent almost £4,000 on improvements to his property. Shanboolard was described as a castellated residence. The Achesons were very involved with the promotion of the Galway to Clifden railway. Alfred E. Acheson's property of about 400 acres in the barony of Ballynahich was advertised for sale 3 times in 1878.