Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Acheson (Shanboolard)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Tulloch John Armstrong, a member of a county Fermanagh family, was living at South Hill, Clifden, county Galway, circa 1840. He was married to Letitia Pratt de Montmorency. This Armstrong family also resided at Graigaverne, county Laois and held land at Ballybeg, barony of Iffa and Offa and Quartercross, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary, which was advertised for sale in March 1862. In 1881 John Armstrong's youngest son William married Kathleen Lushington of Rodmersham, Kent. When she was left a substanial inheritance by her aunt Mrs Tulloch in 1884 they returned from America where they had been cattle ranching and in 1890 bought Shanboolard Hall and estate. Four years later they bought the former estate of Thomas Prior, 1140 statute acres and Ross House. Most of the estate was sold to the Congested Districts Board in 1921.
Whitwell Edward Whitwell appears to have been the first person to live at Shanboolard which he held at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He may possibly have been leasing it from Robert Graham. The Achesons were resident there by the 1870s. In June 1863 283 acres belonging to Whitwell held in fee simple and the Dowris fishery were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court.
Acheson (Shanboolard) The Achesons bought property in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway in the 1860s, Shanboolard from E. Whitwell and Richard Reville's lease of Cartron. The sales rentals of Shanboolard in 1878 record that Alfred Ernest Acheson spent almost £4,000 on improvements to his property. Shanboolard was described as a castellated residence. The Achesons were very involved with the promotion of the Galway to Clifden railway. Alfred E. Acheson's property of about 400 acres in the barony of Ballynahich was advertised for sale 3 times in 1878.