Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fletcher


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Rosleague) A note on the sale rental dated 1862 of Edmund O'Flaherty's estate in the barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, records the purchase of 220 acres in Cloonederowen and Roscrea, parish of Ballynakill, by Edward Browne. By the 1870s the Browne family owned Rosleague and 1507 acres in the Ballynakill locality, county Galway. Gillman Browne was married to Charlotte Twining from nearby Cleggan House and their descendants owned Rosleague until the mid 20th century.
Fletcher At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry G. Fletcher owned an estate at Rosleague in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, containing 1286 acres. He bought his property in 1851 from the sale of the estates of the ffrenchs of Castle ffrench in the Encumbered Estates' Court.
ffrench (Castle ffrench) Originally known as Clogher and purchased by the ffrenches from the O'Kellys in 1636. Confiscated by the Cromwellian Commissioners and granted to a Doctor Fennell and repurchased from Fennell's widow by Jasper ffrench in 1671. Charles ffrench was created a baronet in 1779. In the early 19th century family members were heavily involved in banking and business enterprises in Galway and Tuam. In 1851 following banking setbacks and the Famine the estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court to James Thorngate. The Castle Ffrench estate was in the baronies of Killian and Kilconnell, county Galway, but it also included Rosleague and other land in the parish of Ballinakill, barony of Ballynahinch and the lands of Beagh, barony of Moycarn, county Roscommon. Rosleague was sold to Henry G. Fletcher. The ffrenches repurchased the estate in 1919. At the time of Griffith's Valuation two sons of Sir Thomas Ffrench, 2nd Baron, namely Martin and Gonville, held estates in counties Galway and Mayo in their own names (see separate entries for ffrench of Claremont and Ballinamore).