Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Browne (Rosleague)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Browne (Rosleague) A note on the sale rental dated 1862 of Edmund O'Flaherty's estate in the barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, records the purchase of 220 acres in Cloonederowen and Roscrea, parish of Ballynakill, by Edward Browne. By the 1870s the Browne family owned Rosleague and 1507 acres in the Ballynakill locality, county Galway. Gillman Browne was married to Charlotte Twining from nearby Cleggan House and their descendants owned Rosleague until the mid 20th century.
Fletcher At the time of Griffith's Valuation Henry G. Fletcher owned an estate at Rosleague in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, containing 1286 acres. He bought his property in 1851 from the sale of the estates of the ffrenchs of Castle ffrench in the Encumbered Estates' Court.
O'Flaherty (Renvyle) In the 18th century the O'Flahertys held lands, that had previously belonged to them, from the Blakes of Renvyle in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. However Henry Blake did not renew their lease in the second decade of the 19th century as he wished to live there himself. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edmund O'Flaherty owned 2 townlands in the parish of Ballynakill and one townland in the parish of Omey. These townlands were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1862 and a note on the sale rental states that the lands in the parish of Ballynakill were purchased by Edward Browne of Rosleague.