Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Flaherty (Renvyle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Blake (Renvyle) Henry Blake returned from Montserrat in 1676 and, according to Martin J. Blake, bought the Lehinch estate at Hollymount, county Mayo, about 600 acres, from the patentee John Porter. He also bought the Renvyle estate, county Galway, from Richard Nugent, Earl of Westmeath in 1680. In 1780 the estates passed to a cousin, Valentine Blake of Mullaghmore and Windfield, county Galway, whose son Henry Blake of Renvyle sold part of his Lehinch estate, including his house, to Thomas Lindsey of Hollymount circa 1812 and the rest of the estate was bought by the 2nd Marquess of Sligo in 1818. The Lehinch estate was in the parishes of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine and parish of Tagheen, barony of Clanmorris. The Renvyle estate of nearly 13,000 acres in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, was visited by Henry Blake for the first time in 1811. He refused to renew the O'Flaherty's lease of the property and took up residence there in the early 1820s. His descendants continued to live at Renvyle until the early 20th century. A large portion of the estate was sold in the early 1850s. Mrs Caroline Blake of Renvyle owned an estate of 4,682 acres in the 1870s. The author Oliver St John Gogarty bought the house and about 200 acres in 1917 and entertained many well known artists and literary figures there.
Browne (Rosleague) A note on the sale rental dated 1862 of Edmund O'Flaherty's estate in the barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, records the purchase of 220 acres in Cloonederowen and Roscrea, parish of Ballynakill, by Edward Browne. By the 1870s the Browne family owned Rosleague and 1507 acres in the Ballynakill locality, county Galway. Gillman Browne was married to Charlotte Twining from nearby Cleggan House and their descendants owned Rosleague until the mid 20th century.
O'Flaherty (Renvyle) In the 18th century the O'Flahertys held lands, that had previously belonged to them, from the Blakes of Renvyle in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway. However Henry Blake did not renew their lease in the second decade of the 19th century as he wished to live there himself. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Edmund O'Flaherty owned 2 townlands in the parish of Ballynakill and one townland in the parish of Omey. These townlands were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1862 and a note on the sale rental states that the lands in the parish of Ballynakill were purchased by Edward Browne of Rosleague.
O'Flaherty (Knockbane) This branch of the O'Flaherty family of Renvyle had an estate in the parish and barony of Moycullen, county Galway, which they bought from Mark Lynch of Drimcong in 1803. The Westport Papers contain a copy of the will of Anthony O'Flaherty of Knockbane dated 28 Dec 1817. He lent money to Henry Blake of Renvyle and was succeeded by his son, another Anthony O'Flaherty, who was a Member of Parliament for Galway city from 1847-1857. Edmund O'Flaherty of Knockbane, a half brother of Anthony, was a friend of William Keogh and of John Sadlier, the banker. In 1854 he disappeared following rumours of his involvement in extensive forgeries. Edmond O'Flaherty of Gortrevagh, Oughterard, owned 2091 acres in the 1870s. Mabel O'Flaherty, sister of Anthony O'Flaherty married Joseph Fitzpatrick and their representatives owned 1,522 acres at Knockbane in the 1870s. The Fitzpatrick estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 July 1902.
Shea A John Shea was granted lands in a number of county Galway baronies in March 1678/9. Gartside Shea of Shinnanagh, parish of Omey, barony of Ballynahinch, was active in seeking relief for those suffering from the effects of famine in the Ballinakill district in the 1840s. The immediate lessor of Shinnanagh at the time of Griffith's Valuation was Edmund O'Flaherty and G. Shea may have purchased the townland, which he already held on lease, from the sale of the O'Flaherty estate in 1862. Shinnanagh is a townland of 639 acres and one source records Gartside Shea as proprietor of that amount of acres. Maria Shea of Ballinasloe is recorded as the owner of over 639 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.