Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Thomson

Description

A Scottish family.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fynn Edward Fynn of Shrule, county Mayo bought the lands of Ballymacgibbon, parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from Colonel John Browne of Westport and his creditors' trustees in September 1699 for £243. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Fynns held four townlands in the parish of Cong. In 1876 Jane Fynn of Ballymacgibbon owned 620 acres in county Mayo. The mother of Sir William Wilde was a Fynn of Ballymacgibbon. In 1862 Sir William bought part of the Fynn estate, 170 acres of Gortachurra, when it came up for sale in the Landed Estates Court. The Irish Times reported that the sale realised £3460 for the Fynn estate. Wilde built Moytura House on this land. The Fynn family also had an interest in the Chambers' estate at Kilboyne, parish of Ballyhean, barony of Carra, through a marriage between the two families and this was sold by the trustees of John Fynn's will, John Charles Larminie and John Thompson, in 1860.
Miller (Milford) A family of Cromwellian settlers who were granted over 1,000 acres in the parishes of Kilmainemore and Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in 1667. Originally established at Ballycusheen they settled at Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, in the early 18th century. They also held lands along the shore of Killary harbour in the 18th century from the Blakes of Renvyle and inherited part of the Cloghastookeen estate, parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, county Galway, through marriage with a Croasdaile heiress. Croasdaile Bowen Miller is recorded as one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilconickny, barony of Dunkellin, in 1855. In 1876 the Milford estate was comprised of 1404 acres in county Mayo and 651 acres in county Galway. It was reduced in size by sales to the Congested Districts' Board and the Land Commission but the Ormsby family, who inherited the property from the Millers early in the 20th century, still farm 300+ acres. This is one of the few county Mayo estates still in the possession of the descendants of the original grantees.
Lambert (Brookhill) The Lamberts of county Mayo were descended from the county Galway family located at Cregclare and Aggard. From the early 18th century the county Mayo branch were leasing land in the barony of Kilmaine from such families as the Veseys, Ruttledges and Bowens. They lived at Togher and Rusheen or Thomastown but moved in the late 18th century to reside at Brookhill, parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, leased from the Gonne Bells. They were closely linked to the Ruttledge family, Joseph Lambert of Brookhill having married in 1784 Barbara Ruttledge sister and heiress of Robert Ruttledge of Bloomfield. Their second son the Reverend Francis Lambert changed his name to Ruttledge and continued the family of that name at Bloomfield. Joseph Lambert married secondly Mary Clendining and their sons Joseph and Alexander C. were agents to many of the landowners in the locality. Alexander Clendining Lambert bought almost 1000 acres of the O'Donel of Newport estate in the Cong area in 1852 and sold it to Benjamin Lee Guinness in 1858. In 1854 he bought much of the land he was already leasing from the Brownes of Castlemagarret in the Encumbered Estates' Court and other property in 1860 from the sale of the Brownes of Claremount estate. In 1876 Alexander C. Lambert owned 1409 acres in county Mayo and 1121 acres in county Galway. His property in the barony of Ballynahinch was purchased from the Thomson family of Salruck. The Brookhill estate was gradually sold in the 1920s and 1930s and the house and about 100 acres in 1946 to Gerald Maguire, a solicitor in Claremorris. In the mid 20th century Alexander Fane Lambert, wrote a detailed account of the history of his family and its land holding, based on family papers still in the possession of a family member in London.
Thomson The Salrock/Salruck estate, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, originally belonged to the Miller family of Milford, parish of Kilmainemore, county Mayo. In 1803 it was estimated to contain approximately 8000 statute acres stretching along the western coastline from the Killary Harbour to Cleggan. In 1815 Colonel Alexander Thomson married the widow of General Charles Miller who was killed in the Peninsular War. Colonel Thomson had some claim on the Milford estate and after a protracted law suit he purchased in lieu of this claim the Salruck property in the early 1830s. Members of his family continued to follow military careers and one of them was agent to Mitchell Henry at Kylemore Abbey. In 1876 the Thomsons still owned an estate of over 8000 acres in county Galway. 1332 acres of their estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board on 2 Apr 1897 and by March 1916 a final offer for a further 7,819 acres had been accepted by the family. Alexander Thomson leased 13 acres of Illaunroe to Sir William Wilde in 1853 and the farm of Dernasliggan, 250 acres on the edge of the Killary, to Alexander C. Lambert in 1854. Descendants of the family still live at Salruck House and own some land in the locality.
Joyce (Gortnarup) Late 18th century leases in the Milford Papers record Roger Joyce of Gortnarup, parish and barony of Ross, county Galway, renting a large amount of the Miller of Milford's estate situated along the coast in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch, county Galway, which later became the property of the Thomson family. He also leased land in the barony of Ross in the mid 18th century from Sir Ulick Blake of Menlough, county Galway. Roger Joyce of Rupfield was buried in Rosshill cemetery, Clonbur in 17[77].