Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lefroy


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lefroy (Leitrim & Limerick) Thomas Lefroy, residing at Ardmore, Bray, county Wicklow, is recorded as the owner of almost 1700 acres of land in county Leitrim in the 1870s.This may be a connection with the Lefroy family of Carriglass, county Longford. Thomas Lefroy married Elizabeth Massy, daughter of 3rd Lord Massy, in 1835 and the Massy estate held extensive lands in Leitrim, amounting to 1,699 acres in the 1870s with a further 24 acres in county Limerick. A Thomas Lefroy also held property in county Roscommon but his address is given as Cashel House, Clondra, county Longford. In 1916 an offer from the Congested Districts' Board had been accepted for the sale of over 2,000 acres belonging to T. L. Lefroy in county Roscommon. Sir John Ainsworth's report on the Oliver Papers refers to a rental of the estate of Thomas Lefroy including Fanstown, Co Limerick and other lands, circa 1833. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Baron Lefroy is recorded as the owner of the townland of Knigh (875 acres) in the parish of Knigh, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. He is also mentioned as the proprietor in the Ordnance Survey Name Books of 1840.
Lefroy (Killaloe) This was a junior branch of the Lefroy family of Carrig-glass, county Longford. They were descended from the Reverend Henry Lefroy who married Dorothea O'Grady of Kilballyowen, county Clare in 1814. Their third son, Henry Maunsell, lived at Fern Hollow, Killaloe. He had a milling business in the town. Weir writes that a house named Cambrai was built at Knockyclovaun, parish of Killaloe, for Henry M. Lefroy's son in the early 20th century. Henry M. Lefroy is recorded as owning a mansion house at Knockyclovaun valued at £33 in 1906.