Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Stanford


Estate(s)

Name Description
Stanford In the early 19th century the Stanfords had a small estate in the parish of Kilcolman, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, which they advertised for sale in the Land Courts in 1856 and again in 1866-1867.The Irish Times reports that the property of Cartown, Claremorris, were purchased by Michael Higgins for over £1400 in June 1867.
Staunton/Lynch Staunton The Stauntons, originally from Buckinghamshire, England, settled in county Galway in the mid 17th century and were established on an estate centred at Cargin Castle in the barony of Clare by the early 18th century. 18th century members of the family were distinguished diplomats and Oriental scholars and absentee landlords. The estate was leased to the Frenchs of Monieva in the mid 18th century. The estate came back into Staunton possession in the 1780s and William Skerrett of Carrownacroagh acted as agent. Clydagh House was built in the early 1820s. The estate eventually passed to a member of the Lynch family of Duras to whom the Stauntons were connected by marriage. George Staunton Lynch took the additional surname of Staunton. The Lynch Stauntons also had 2 townlands in parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo. Between the 1830s and mid 1850s Staunton lands in the parish of Annaghdown were sold to Mary Woodcock and George Stanfort. In the 1870s the Lynch Stauntons owned 1,395 acres in county Galway and 733 acres in county Mayo. Michael Carroll states that the house was burnt in 1922 and was sold by the Lynch Staunton family in 1947.