According to Martin J. Blake this family of Moore were descended from the Mores of Barmeath, county Louth.
|Lynch Blosse||A Galway family who lost most of their estates in that county under Cromwell but received extensive grants of land in the barony of Carra, county Mayo under the Restoration Settlement, most of which they managed to retain despite supporting the Jacobite cause. Their estate was mainly in the parishes of Ballintober and Ballyovey in the barony of Carra and in the parishes of Mayo, Kilcolman and Balla in the barony of Clanmorris. The lands in the barony of Clanmorris were previously part of the estate of the Moores of Brize, which Sir Henry Lynch claimed by his marriage in 1722 to Mary Moore. His claim was settled by a decree of the House of Lords in 1744. Through their connection with the Moores the Lynch Blosses also held a half share in substantial estates in the barony of Athlone, County Roscommon and the barony of Garrycastle, King's County (Offaly) which were advertised for sale in October 1852. In the early 18th century the Lynch Blosses had a house at Corrandulla in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway. By the mid 18th century they were living at Castlecarra although they retained the house at Corrandulla until the early 19th century. In 1876 the Lynch Blosse estate amounted to 17,555 acres. The Congested Districts' Board purchased the Lynch Blosse estate of 18,566 acres in 1909 for £154,000. The Irish Tourist Association File makes reference to the account of S. Nicholson's survey of the estate in 1844 being in the library of the Archbishop of Tuam. The maps of the Lynch Blosse estate may be viewed on line at http://www.mayolibrary.ie/en/LocalStudies/MayoMapsOnline/|
|Moore (Brees)||Colonel Garrett Moore was granted over 11,500 acres in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo as well as the Cloghan estate in county Offaly under the Acts of Settlement. He had one daughter who married Walter Lawrence of Lisreaghan or Lawrencetown, county Galway. He was succeeded by his nephew, Captain John Moore, who married Mary Daly. They had one son, Garrett, and two daughters. Captain John Moore died in 1706 and his widow married Peter Browne of Westport and was mother of John Browne, 1st Earl of Altamont. Garrett Moore succeeded his father but died without issue in 1722 and his two sisters, who had married Sir Henry Lynch 5th baronet of Castle Carra and Michael Moore of Cloonbigny, parish of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon respectively, became his heiresses. The division of the Moore estate was eventually settled in 1744 by a decision of the House of Lords in favour of Sir Henry Lynch, who obtained possession of a moiety of the Moore estate in county Mayo. In 1852 the Moores of Clonebigny advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court their lands in counties Roscommon, Offaly, Mayo (parishes of Balla and Kilcolman) and Clare amounting to 9456 acres. The maps of the estate of Garret O'Moore may be viewed on line at http://www.mayolibrary.ie/en/LocalStudies/MayoMapsOnline/|
|Moore/O'Moore (Cloonbigny)||In 1629 John Moore of Brees, county Mayo, settled his Cloonbigney estate in the parish of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon, on his third son, William. In 1725 Michael Moore of Cloonbigney married Frances Moore, co heiress, with her sister Mary, to their brother Garrett Moore of Brees. Mary was married to Sir Henry Lynch, 5th baronet of Castlecarra. It was not until 1744 that the division of the Moore estate was eventually settled by a decision of the House of Lords in favour of Sir Henry Lynch, who obtained possession of all the Moore estate in county Mayo. The Moores of Cloonbigny got Cloghan Castle in county Offaly. In 1852 the Moores of Cloonbigny advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court their lands in counties Roscommon (4,000 acres on border with county Galway), Offaly, Mayo (parishes of Balla and Kilcolman) and Clare (723 acres in unions of Ennistymon and Killadysert) amounting to 9456 acres. Their county Roscommon estate was in the parish of Taghmaconnell, barony of Athlone, and by the time of Griffith's Valuation it was in the possession of Fitzstephen French. The townland of Ballygill, in the parish of Ahascragh, county Galway, is recorded in the Ordnance Survey Name books as having been the property of Garret O'Moore. The house, Ballygill Lodge, that it formerly contained, was then in ruins.|