Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gledstanes


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gledstanes George Gledstanes, originally from county Tyrone, married Jane Cullen of Skreeney. They resided at Fortland Cottage in the parish of Clooneclare, county Leitrim. Another branch of this family lived in county Tipperary. In the mid 18th century Anne eldest daughter of James Glenstanes of Fardross, county Tyrone, married Matthew Jacob of St Johnstown and Morbarnane, county Tipperary. Their son John Jacob Glenstanes married Penelope Gahan of Coolquill Castle, county Tipperary, one of the co heiresses of Daniel Gahan. John and Penelope Glenstanes' daughter Anne married Wray Palliser and it was through this marriage that Coolquill Castle and Annesgift came into the possession of the Palliser family.
Palliser A family originally from Yorkshire, the Reverend William Palliser became Archbishop of Cashel in 1694. His daughter Jane married John Bury of Shannon Grove, county Limerick. Their two eldest sons were William, from whom descend the Earls of Charleville, and John, who succeeded his uncle, William Palliser, and assumed that name. He was the ancestor of the Pallisers of Comragh, county Waterford and Derryluskan, county Tipperary. In 1784, his grandson, John Palliser married Grace Barton of Grove and their son, Lieutenant Colonel Wray Palliser, held land mainly in the parish of Crohane, barony of Slievardagh but also in the parishes of Graystown, barony of Slievardagh and Barrettsgrange, Drangan, Knockgraffon, Outeragh and Rathcool, barony of Middlethird. In 1814, Colonel Wray Palliser married Anne, daughter and heir of John Gledstanes of Annesgiflt, county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, his brother, Rev. John B. Palliser, Rector of Clonmel, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dunhill and Islandikane, barony of Middlethird, county Waterford while Colonel Palliser held townlands in the parishes of Fews and Kilrossanty, barony of Decies-without-Drum, in the same county. In the 1870s John Palliser (an explorer of Western Canada) of Comragh House owned 3,561 acres in county Tipperary, 9,825 acres in county Waterford and 467 acres in county Kildare (Castlewarden) while Captain William Palliser of Derryluskan, owned 1,026 acres in county Tipperary and 460 acres in county Kilkenny and Wray Bury Palliser of Annestown owned 2,024 acres in county Waterford . The Comeragh and Kilmacthomas properties were later inherited by Caroline Grace Fairholme, niece of Wray Palliser. The ITA survey noted in 1942 that the estate amounted to over 2000 acres that time, mostly mountain. The Fairholme family employed Charles Langlet of Kilmathomas as their agent.
Jacob This Presbyterian family were located in the Fethard area of county Tipperary from at least the mid 17th century. In 1703 Mathew Jacob bought the lands of Johnstown, 370 acres in the barony of Middlethird, part of the estate of James II, for £900. Mathew Jacob of St Johnstown married Elizabeth Minchin of Shangarry. Their three sons settled at Ballingarry (Samuel), Mobarnan (Mathew) and Coolmore (John). In the mid 1770s Mathew Jacob of Mobarnan's estate was estimated to be worth £6,000 (Kilboy Papers). In 1782 Anna, daughter and heir of Mathew Jacob of St Johnstown, county Tipperary, married Richard Pennefather of New Park. In the mid 19th century Matthew Jacob held land in the parishes of Ballingarry and Killenaule, barony of Slievardagh and Donaghmore, Magowry and Peppardstown, barony of Middlethird, county Tipperary. At the same time Samuel Jacob held land in the parish of Magorban and Robert Jacob in the parish of Cooleagh, barony of Middlethird. An estate of 2,865 acres in the baronies of Middlethird, Slieveardagh and Kilmanagh, belonging to Samuel and Robert Jacob, both "of Mobarnane", was advertised for sale in April 1851. The sale included Mortlestown Castle. This estate, plus an additional 800+ acres including Mobarnane, was advertised for sale again in December 1851. The Tennants bought Mobarnane and most of the Jacob estate. The Freeman's Journal reported that a Reverend Thomas also purchased some lots.
Gahan In 1666 Daniel Gahan and his wife Susanna, widow of Thomas Ashe, were granted of about 1,000 Irish acres in the barony of Slievardagh, county Tipperary, including Coolequill. O'Hart records three sons of this marriage, Sir Daniel, George and John. Sir Daniel had no children and was succeeded by George. George's grandson, Daniel of Coolquill Castle, parish of Crohane, barony of Slievardagh, married Hannah Bunbury of Kilfeakle, co heiress of her uncle, Matthew Bunbury. In 1793 their daughter Marianne married William Tighe of Woodstock, county Kilkenny. Daniel Gahan was a Member of the Irish House of Commons in 1797. He had no sons and O'Hart writes that his property was inherited by his daughters Marianne Tighe and Penelope Gledstones [Gledstanes].