The Birchall (sometimes spelt Burchall) estate held lands in the parish of Kiltoghert, county Leitrim. The estate was centred on Blackrock House, near Drumshanbo. Robert Birchall, of Lishugh, county Roscommon and Blackrock, was High Sheriff of Leitrim in 1670. Arthur J.Birchall of Blackrock was a member of the Leitrim Grand Jury in 1851. The Birchall estate was just over 1,400 acres in the 1870s. Walford, in 1885, noted connections between this family and that of Duckworth of Mount Erris, county Roscommon.
In 1906 the Birchall estate held less than 100 acres of untenanted land in the Drumshanbo area as well as the mansion house at Blackrock.