Colonel Francis Rolleston, a Jacobite, settled in county Tipperary in the late 17th century. His grandson was living at ffranckfort Castle, Roscrea, county Offaly, by the mid 18th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mrs H.M. Rolleston held land in the parish of Castletownarra, barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary. Helena Mary Rolleston (nee Maunsell) was the wife of Charles Rolleston of Silver Hills, county Offaly, who died in 1820. They had five sons, the eldest James ffrank Rolleston succeeded his uncle at ffranksfort Castle. Their second son Charles Rolleston, Queen's Counsel, was Chairman of the county Mayo Quarter Sessions and assumed the name Spunner in 1867. In December 1854 the estate of Charles, Arthur William and Robert Stephen Rolleston, 668 acres in the barony of Owney and Arra, county Tipperary, was advertised for sale. By the 1870s all the Rolleston property was located in county Offaly.