Baron de Clifford
Originally the family surname was Southwell. Sophia Coussmaker Baroness de Clifford was married to John Russell a nephew of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford.
|Kirwan (Dalgan)||This junior branch of the Kirwans of Cregg Castle, county Galway, were merchants in the city of Galway, who received grants of lands, over 3,000 acres, in the parishes of Kilcolman and Mayo Abbey, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo, under the Acts of Settlement. They bought the Dalgan estate from the Earl of Clanricarde in 1771 and so acquired lands in the parishes of Kilmainemore, Moorgagagh and Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, and in the parish of Toomore, barony of Gallen. At the beginning of the 19th century they moved their main family residence from Claremount on the outskirts of Claremorris to Dalgan near the village of Shrule. In 1853 the entire estate of Patrick Kirwan was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court for £48,300. The purchaser was the Duke of Bedford on behalf or in trust for Lady de Clifford. The Kirwan family moved to Gelston Castle in Scotland.|
|Russell||In 1853 the Dalgan estate was bought by the Duke of Bedford for Lady de Clifford, who was the wife of his first cousin. The estate was comprised of lands in the baronies of Kilmaine, Clanmorris and Gallen, county Mayo and in the barony of Clare, county Galway. Her estate was mainly located in the county Mayo parishes of Mayo, barony of Clanmorris, Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine and in the parish of Donaghpatrick, barony of Clare, county Galway. In 1876 Lord de Clifford owned 11,594 acres in county Mayo and 1406 in county Galway. Most of the county Mayo estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in February 1914 and an offer had been accepted for the county Galway acreage by March 1916. In 1802 McParlan recorded that Lady de Clifford held a large estate in county Leitrim but was not a resident proprietor. Her grandmother was Sophia Campbell of the Mount Campbell, county Leitrim, family.|
|Campbell (Mountcampbell)||The Campbell family held an estate at Mount Campbell outside Drumsna since the early eighteenth century. Lt. Col. Josias Campbell served as High Sheriff of Leitrim in 1720 and his son Samuel held the same office in 1756. In 1766 the Campbell estate passed to the Rowley family through marriage. The Campbells were also related to the Southwell and Russell families, Barons de Clifford.|
|Southwell (Co Cork)||In 1666 Robert Southwell was granted lands in the liberties of Kinsale, county Cork and in the barony of Kinnalea. Edward Southwell (1732-1777), 20th Baron de Clifford, Member of Parliament for Gloucestershire, married in 1765 Sophia third daughter of Samuel Campbell of Mount Campbell, county Leitrim. He was succeeded by his son Edward, a minor. A collection of records in the Gloucestershire Record Office document some of the administration of his Irish estates in counties Cork and Limerick during his minority. John How was the agent for the Kinsale estate. Edward Southwell 21st Baron de Clifford died childless in 1832. His niece Sophia Coussmaker became Baroness de Clifford. She married John Russell, nephew of the 6th Duke of Bedford and the title continues in her descendants.|