Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blake (Merlin Park)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Moore (Moore Hall) An estate in the parishes of Ballintober, Ballyovey and Burriscarra in the barony of Carra, county Mayo, held by the Moore family, formerly of Ashbrook, parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen and Alicante, Spain. The Moores, who were Catholic, bought their Moore Hall property from the McDonnells and their Ballintober and Ballyovey estates from the Blakes in the early 1790s. They built a large house, which was burnt down during the Civil War. The Ballintober and Ballyovey estates were advertised for sale in 1854. The Ballyovey estate was bought by Lord Thomas Plunket, Bishop of Tuam, Killala and Achonry. The Moores managed to keep most of the Ballintober estate. In the 1870s George Augustus Moore owned 12,371 acres in county Mayo and 110 acres in county Roscommon. Most of the Moorehall estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in 1912. John Moore, elected President of the Republic of Connaught in 1798, George Henry Moore,supporter of tenant right, and George Augustus Moore, author, were all members of this family.
Tighe (The Heath) Robert Tighe was a prosperous merchant of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmainemore, county Mayo, in the mid 19th century who bought lands for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Robert Tighe held three townlands in the parish of Kilmainemore, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, previously part of the estate of Arthur Browne of Glencorrib, parish of Shrule, and one townland in parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, bought from the Blakes of Merlin Park. He held a townland in the parish of Templetogher, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, in the mid 1850s. In 1863 Tighe bought The Heath from the Blakes. His first wife was Catherine, daughter of Thomas Kelly, and their eldest son, Thomas, was Member of Parliament for county Mayo in 1874. In 1875 he married Marie Antionette Dolphin of Danesfort, county Galway. By 1876 members of the Tighe family owned more than 2,000 acres in county Mayo and 1,025 acres in county Galway. Part of the Tighe's county Mayo estate was sold to the Congested Districts' Board in May 1906. 593 acres belonging to Thomas Tighe in county Galway were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 26 April 1907. Robert Dolphin Tighe is recorded as the owner of over 340 acres of untenanted demesne land and a mansion house valued at £15 at Lisduff, Loughrea, in 1906.
Blake (Merlin Park) The Blakes of Moyne, parish of Shrule, county Mayo, were descended from the Blakes of Ardfry, county Galway. Under the Acts of Settlement they were granted the lands of Ballyglass, including Coolcon Castle, now situated in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine and lands in the barony of Dunmore, county Galway, amounting to more than 3,000 acres. At first they held Moyne on lease from the Earls of Clanricarde and in 1711 purchased the fee simple. In 1691 they bought the lands of Ballintober, barony of Carra, from the Blakes of Ardfry. The Ballintober lands were sold to the Moores of Moorehall in 1793. The rest of the Blake estate in counties Galway and Mayo was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Moyne was in the possession of Paul Ward and Joseph Burke and Edward S.Power had bought part of the Blake estate in the parish of Kilcommon. Charles Ormsby Blake de Burgh in a letter to George Ormsby of the Ballinamore family refers to the destruction of his family papers in a fire while in storage in London (17 May 1900).
Golding/Goulding In the early part of the 19th century Moyne Lodge, part of the estate of the Blakes of Merlin Park, in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, was occupied by Richard Golding, the proprietor of a large corn mill, brewery and distillery in the village of Shrule. He held some land in the vicinity, including Liss in the parish of Killeany, barony of Clare and townlands in the parishes of Addergoole and Dunmore, barony of Dunmore, county Galway and was agent to the Lewins at Cloghans. In the 1870s John Goulding of Carnane, Tuam, owned 804 acres in county Galway, Hyacinth Goulding of Dunmore owned 238 acres and Richard Goulding of Shrule owned 214 acres. In 1893 lands amounting to over a thousand acres in the barony of Kiltartan, county Galway, belonging to Hyacinth Golding and others were advertised for sale.
Ward (Shrule) In 1852 Paul Ward and others bought 2 townlands in the parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, from the sale of part of the estate of the Blakes of Merlin Park. In 1876 he owned 544 acres in county Mayo.
Hodgson The Hodgson family came to Ireland from Whitehaven in Cumberland, England and were mine owners in Avoca, county Wicklow before they moved west in the mid 19th century. Pádraig Lane writes that they spent over £22,000 buying 2,800 acres in the Galway area from George F. O'Flahertie, Robert H. Eyre, William H. Gregory, Charles Blake, the Reverend T. Kelly and Christopher St. George. They mined copper and lead on their estate in the west of Ireland, which was mainly located in the parish of Kilcummin, barony of Moycullen, county Galway. By the time of Griffith's Valuation they held eleven townlands in the parish, some of which had previously belonged to the St George family. In 1852 Henry Hodgson bought Merlin Park from the sale of the estate of Charles Blake in the Encumbered Estates' Court. The Merlin Park estate of 1,109 acres, including the marble quarries at Dohiskey, and some land at Castle Waller (321 acres) in county Tipperary, were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1868 but it was not until 1876 that the Waithmans bought the Merlin Park estate. Henry Hodgson still owned over 17,000 acres in county Galway in the early 1870s. http://www.currarevagh.com/
Waithman Robert William Waithman, a member of a Lancashire family, came to Ireland in the 1860s and purchased estates in the Landed Estates' Court. The Irish Times reports on his acquisition of the Moyne estate for £14,000 in March 1867. He also bought Moyvannon Castle in county Roscommon and Merlin Park in county Galway. His second wife, Arabella, was a sister of Lady Gregory. In the 1870s Robert W. Waithman owned 3,432 acres in county Galway, 1,109 acres in the town of Galway and 4,631 acres in county Roscommon. Merlin Park, which was bought by the Waithmans in 1876, continued in the family's ownership for three generations until it was acquired by the Irish State as a tuberculosis sanatorium. 366 acres and 1,625 acres of Robert W. Waithman's county Roscommon were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in 1912 and 1913 respectively.