Landed Estates
NUI Galway


Family title

Earl of Bessborough


Name Description
Ponsonby (Bessborough, Earl of ) The Bessborough estate held lands in the parishes of Fenagh and Kiltoghert, county Leitrim during the first half of the 19th century. However, this estate is not recorded as having land in county Leitrim in the 1870s. George Ponsonby married Mary Butler, daughter of 2nd Earl of Lanesborough, in 1781. The Lanesborough estate is also recorded as owning land in county Leitrim. Lord Bessborough is recorded as the proprietor of a large estate but having no residence in Leitrim in 1802. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Earl of Bessborough held land in the parish of Carrick, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county Tipperary, including part of the town of Carrick on Suir. In the 1870s the Earl of Bessborough owned 129 acres in county Tipperary, 23,967 acres in county Kilkenny and 10,578 acres in county Carlow.
Ponsonby (Imokilly) This branch of the Ponsonby family was descended from the Right Honourable John Ponsonby, Speaker of the House of Commons in Ireland and second son of the 1st Earl of Bessborough. In 1743 John married Lady Elizabeth Cavendish daughter of the 3rd Duke of Devonshire. Their son William was created Baron Ponsonby of Imokilly in 1806 and his son John was promoted to the title Viscount Ponsonby in 1839, which became extinct following his death in 1855. The title of Baron continued with his nephew and successor but this title also died out in 1866 following the death of the 4th Baron. The estates were inherited by Charles William Talbot of Inchiquin, Youghal, a nephew of the 3rd Baron, who took the additional surname of Ponsonby. In the mid 19th century the Ponsonby estate was located in the parishes of Ardagh, Clonpriest, Killeagh, Kilmacdonogh and Youghal, barony of Imokilly, county Cork. In the 1870s C.W.T. Ponsonby of Park House, Youghal, owned 10,367 acres in county Cork. Some premises in the town of Carrick on Suir, county Tipperary, were leased by the Earl of Bessborough to Edmond Fitzgarrett Butler on a fee farm grant in 1855. These premises were advertised for sale with lands in county Laois in 1875 and 1877. Much of the sale was adjourned in 1875 though one lot was sold, in trust, to Mr. Cusack, solicitor.