Landed Estates
NUI Galway

French (Frenchgrove)


Estate(s)

Name Description
French (Frenchgrove) Patrick Melvin writes that this family claimed to have held the Frenchgrove estate from the mid 17th century. An estate in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, was held by James French in the 19th century. By the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Frenchs appear to be residing in Tuam. Their agent and receiver was Mr Bolton. In 1876 the representatives of James French owned 667 acres in county Mayo. Martin Kirwan of Frenchgrove was recorded as a resident landlord for the barony of Kilmaine in 1802. He was married to Bridget French.