Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blake (Belmont)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Blake (Garracloon) A property in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, which passed to George Blake, second son of Martin Blake of Moyne, parish of Shrule, county Mayo, in 1765, following the death of his fathe-in-law, Marcus Lynch. George Blake left Garracloone to his third son Richard, father of George Blake who was executed in 1798. The estate was sold by Richard's grandson under a decree of the Court of Chancery in 1844 to another branch of the Blake family. Part of the Blake estate was leased to Harloe Phibbs Baker in the 1850s, who sold his interest in 1859. Just over 200 acres of Garracloon were offered for sale by descendants of George Blake in 1855, including Geoffrey Martyn who was a son-in-law of George Blake and Abraham and Charlotte Stoker, the parents of Bram Stoker, author of ''Dracula''. In 1876 Joseph V.Netterville Blake, medical doctor, of Garracloon owned 857 acres in county Mayo.
Blake (Belmont) The Blakes of Belmont, parish of Liskeevy, barony of Dunmore, county Galway, were descended from John, sixth son of George Blake of Garracloone, county Mayo and his wife Juliane Lynch. John Blake married a sister of James Cuff, 1st Baron Tyrawley and by his marriage acquired the Belmont estate. Their descendants held the Belmont estate, from the See of Tuam, during the 19th century until its sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in April 1852 to James D. Meldon. In 1824 John Blake of Belmont was described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. The Blakes also held 1808 acres in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Carra, county Mayo. Their county Mayo estate was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1852 to Charles Crotty.
Crotty In 1852 Charles Crotty bought the county Mayo part of the estate of the Blakes of Belmont, county Galway, in the Encumbered Estates' Court, for £1,025. This estate was in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Carra. Pádraig G. Lane writes that he was a Dublin grocer and gives a graphic description of Crotty's relationship with his tenants in an article published in the ''Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society'' (1993). In 1876 Charles Crotty of Kinnewry House owned 1739 acres in county Mayo.
Meldon James Dillon Meldon, a Dublin lawyer, bought part of the Glencorrib estate of Arthur Dillon Browne, parish of Shrule, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo in 1851 and the townland of Garryduff Middle from the sale of Lord Oranmore and Browne's estate in the parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris. He also bought the Belmont estate, parish of Liskeevy, barony of Dunmore from the Blakes in 1852 as well as other properties near Tuam, county Galway. These included some of the remaining estate of the Brownes of Coolarne in the parishes of Athenry and Lackagh, barony of Clare and the Blake estate at Oranmore, barony of Dunkellin. He planted many trees on this property. In 1876 he owned 886 acres in county Mayo, 4,867 acres in county Galway and small acreages in counties Dublin and Kildare.