The Reverend Alexander Clendining was rector of Westport in the late 18th century. He had a number of sons including Thomas Valentine, George and Alexander. George Clendining and his son George, were agents for the Marquesses of Sligo's estates from circa 1798 until 1847 when George junior was dismissed. George Clendining junior was appointed receiver on the estates of Lord Oranmore and Browne in 1843. He was declared a bankrupt in 1851. Another family member Alexander Clendining was agent to Colonel FitzGerald at Turlough and the Moores of Moorehall. The Clendinings intermarried with the O'Donels of Newport and with the Lamberts of Brookhill, county Mayo.
|Knox (Castle Lackan)||The Knoxes of Castle Lackan, parish of Killala, barony of Tirawley and later of Creagh, parish of Ballinrobe, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, held 24,374 acres in county Mayo in 1876. The family were originally from county Donegal and in 1778 William Knox married Elizabeth Nesbitt of Scurmore, county Sligo. Their son, Charles Nesbitt Knox, married Jane Cuff, eventual heiress to the settled estates of her father, James Cuff, Lord Tyrawley. The Knoxes' estate in the barony of Tirawley was concentrated in the parishes of Addergoole, Lackan and Kilcummin and in the barony of Kilmaine, in the parishes of Ballinrobe and Kilmainemore. Alexander Clendining Lambert was agent to the Knoxes. Colonel C.H.C. Knox sold his estate to the Congested Districts' Board in July and December 1913 and February 1914.|
|Clendining||A family employed as agents and receivers on many county Mayo estates in the first half of the 19th century, including those of the Marquess of Sligo, Lord Oranmore and Browne and the FitzGeralds of Turlough. They were also involved in banking. In 1854 they sold 1372 acres in the parish of Kilcolman, barony of Clanmorris in the Encumbered Estates' Court, with their interest in the lease of Thomastown in the barony of Carra. In 1857 Alexander Clendining advertised for sale the rental of the lands [158 acres] of Ballyglass North, parish of Kilcroan, barony of Ballymoe, county Galway, which he held in fee simple.|
|Lambert (Brookhill)||The Lamberts of county Mayo were descended from the county Galway family located at Cregclare and Aggard. From the early 18th century the county Mayo branch were leasing land in the barony of Kilmaine from such families as the Veseys, Ruttledges and Bowens. They lived at Togher and Rusheen or Thomastown but moved in the late 18th century to reside at Brookhill, parish of Crossboyne, barony of Clanmorris, leased from the Gonne Bells. They were closely linked to the Ruttledge family, Joseph Lambert of Brookhill having married in 1784 Barbara Ruttledge sister and heiress of Robert Ruttledge of Bloomfield. Their second son the Reverend Francis Lambert changed his name to Ruttledge and continued the family of that name at Bloomfield. Joseph Lambert married secondly Mary Clendining and their sons Joseph and Alexander C. were agents to many of the landowners in the locality. Alexander Clendining Lambert bought almost 1000 acres of the O'Donel of Newport estate in the Cong area in 1852 and sold it to Benjamin Lee Guinness in 1858. In 1854 he bought much of the land he was already leasing from the Brownes of Castlemagarret in the Encumbered Estates' Court and other property in 1860 from the sale of the Brownes of Claremount estate. In 1876 Alexander C. Lambert owned 1409 acres in county Mayo and 1121 acres in county Galway. His property in the barony of Ballynahinch was purchased from the Thomson family of Salruck. The Brookhill estate was gradually sold in the 1920s and 1930s and the house and about 100 acres in 1946 to Gerald Maguire, a solicitor in Claremorris. In the mid 20th century Alexander Fane Lambert, wrote a detailed account of the history of his family and its land holding, based on family papers still in the possession of a family member in London.|