Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Waldron (Lismoyle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Goff This family were descended from the Goff family of Kingstown, Dublin who had married into the Caulfield family. In 1828 Robert Goff was a member of the Grand Panel of county Roscommon. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Goff estate included the demesne at Oakport, near Boyle. In 1863 Oakport demesne and other lands were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. A lithograph of the house is included in the sale rental. Later the main family seat was at Carrowroe House, parish of Roscommon. The family also held townlands in the parish of Baslick, barony of Castlerea, Kilbride, barony of Ballintober South and Killukin, barony of Roscommon. In the 1870s three Goff brothers owned about 9,000 acres in county Roscommon. Over 1,200 acres belonging to Thomas C. E. Goff were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 17 June 1912 and 560 acres belonging to James C. Goff on 31 Mar 1915.
Waldron/Waldron Hamilton A Leicestershire family who settled at Cartron near Carrick-on-Shannon on the county Leitrim/Roscommon border in the late 17th century. They later moved closer to Drumsna and resided at Ashfort House. In 1813, 1814 and 1832 members of the Waldron family of Drumsna were High Sheriffs of Leitrim. The Waldrons also held land in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon. In 1852 the heiress to Ashfort, Barbara Waldron, married John Hamilton from Lanarkshire who held land in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Their family name became Waldron Hamilton. Premises in Drumsna and land in the parish of Kilmore the estate of Edward Francis Waldron were advertised for sale in June and November 1863. The Irish Times of November 1867 reports that Mrs. M.A Waldron was the purchaser of most of this property. The original lease for these lands was between Baroness de Clifford and Edward Waldron in 1821. Waldron property at Lismoyle was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in March 1871. The sale notice indicates that these lands wre held under grants in the 1790s from the Cullen and Nesbitt estates. Mary Anne Waldron of Cartron, Drumsna, was the owner of over 400 acres in county Leitrim in the 1870s. The Waldron estate in county Roscommon amounting to 1,437 acres was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 17 July 1901. For more details of the genealogy of this family see http://www.binary.co.nz/Wald-Illawarra.txt
Hanly/Hanley A family who lost most of their lands in the barony of Ballintober, county Roscommon, in the mid 17th century. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Roderick J. Hanley held land at Ballycummin in the parish of Kilmore, barony of Ballintober North, county Roscommon. In the mid 19th century Ballycummin was a townland of 124 acres leased from the Bishop of Tuam, Killala and Achonry by the Murray family, who advertised the sale of their interest in June 1872 and April 1873. In 1837 Lewis recorded that Ballycommeen was formerly the seat of the Earl of Roscommon 'now occupied by Lieut Rodrick J. Hanly'. Lewis also records three residences of Hanly family members in the parish of Kilglass - Lava of W. Hanly, Cottage of M. Hanly and Doneen of G. Hanly. In February 1851 and December 1852 George Malby Hanly's interest in the lands of Lavagh and others in the parish of Kilglass were advertised for sale. Roderick John Hanly was one of the trustees for the sale of the 171 acres of Clooncoose in the parish of Kilmore the estate of Anne Conry and Robert James Conry in November 1861. This was purchased by Mr. Scallan. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Mathew Hanly was leasing land from the Reverend Henry King in the parish of Kilmore and John Hanly held the townland of Carrowskeheen. ''The Landowners of Ireland'' record Mathew Hanly of Dangan as owning 345 acres in county Roscommon. He may have bought some of the O'Beirne estate in the parish of Kilglass, offered for sale in 1861, as he was advertising the sale of parts of Aghamannan and Crunkill, parish of Kilglass and the lands of Kilcock, parish of Kilmore, previously Waldron property, in the late 1870s. In January 1872 Mathew Hanly, surviving trustee of the will of Bridget Hanly, advertised the sale of Carrowskeheen, amounting to over 200 acres. It was sold to Digby West. Other lands owned by Matthew Hanley were offered for sale in the Land Judges Court in December 1880 but the sale was adjourned due to lack of bidding. By 1890 Matthew Hanley's widow, Anne, was offering over 90 acres for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The petitioners were Messers. Kiernan and McDermott and these were the purchasers.