Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Browne (Raheens)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Richey In the mid 19th century Alexander George Richey, historian and author of books on land law, held an estate of about 13,500 acres in the parishes of Kilcommon and Kilmore, barony of Erris, county Mayo, from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, on a lease in perpetuity, the last renewal dated 14 Mar 1857. Two months later the Encumbered Estates' Court conveyed the Richey estate to the Reverend Sir William Palmer. In 1869 and 1870 Palmer resold the estate in parts to Sir Alan Bellingham and John Reilly. In 1876 Alexander Richey owned 64 acres in county Mayo, which was later acquired by the Congested Districts' Board. The Richeys were related to the Brownes of Raheens.
Browne (Raheens) A junior branch of the Brownes of the Neale held an estate in the parishes of Aglish and Islandeady, barony of Carra, county Mayo, from the senior branch of the family represented by Lord Kilmaine. In 1876 Dodwell Francis Browne, a judge in Ceylon, owned an estate of 703 acres in county Mayo.
Browne (Neale) A family established at The Neale, county Mayo, from the 16th century which they were regranted along with other Mayo lands under the Acts of Settlement. The estate of the Lords Kilmaine included most of parish of Manulla, plus lands in the parishes of Aglish and Islandeady, barony of Carra. In the barony of Kilmaine most of their estate was in the parishes of Kilmolara and Ballinchalla with smaller holdings in the parishes of Ballinrobe and Cong. They also owned land in the parishes of Ross and Cong, barony of Ross, county Galway and in the parishes of St Peters and Cam, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In 1876 the 4th Baron owned 11,564 acres in county Mayo, 2151 acres in county Galway and 979 acres in county Roscommon and estates of about 2000 acres in each of the counties Westmeath and Wexford. The main family residence was then located at Galston House, Killucan, county Westmeath. Although the family were very active in the local affairs of county Mayo in the 17th and early 18 centuries, they were largely absentee by the 19th century and their estate in county Mayo was administered by agents, such as Charles Cromie, a nephew of the 2nd Baron. Parts of the estates in counties Wexford, Westmeath, Roscommon (over 1,000 acres at Monksland, barony of Athlone), Galway (over 2,000 acres in the barony of Ross) and Mayo (230 acres in the parish of Cong) were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in 1875. The Brownes sold over 2000 acres of their estate to the Congested Districts' Board in February 1907 and another 1660 acres in July 1914.