Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Yelverton

Family title

Viscount Avonmore

Description

In 1791 a daughter of Chief Baron Yelveston married the 1st Lord Clanmorris. The title Viscount Avonmore was conferred on the head of the family in 1800.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Yelverton From the late 1780s the Yelvertons held an estate in the parish of Ballintober, barony of Carra, county Mayo, from the Cuffes. In 1876 the Yelverton estate amounted to 2,696 acres in county Mayo and 563 acres in county Tipperary where the family's principal residence was located at Belleisle, Roscrea. At the same time the Honourable Mrs P. Bingham [Pauline Bingham nee Yelverton] owned 574 acres in county Tipperary. Joseph Yelverton was granted 567 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam and 152 acres in the barony of Ikerrin, county Tipperary, under the Acts of Settlement. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Yelverton estate in county Tipperary was in the parishes of Dorrha and Lorrha, barony of Lower Ormond. The 4th Viscount Avonmore sold his counties Mayo and Tipperary estates in 1879. This family intermarried with the Binghams of Newbrook, county Mayo, a number of times. In 1814 Matthew Yelverton was resident at Meelick in the parish of Clonrush, barony of Leitrim, county Galway. At the same time the Honourable B. Yelverton was occupying a house at Shannon Grove, Banagher, county Galway. In the mid 19th century the Honourable Mrs Yelverton held land in the parish of Clonfert, barony of Duhallow, county Cork and in the 1870s the Honourable Maria Yelverton owned 795 acres in county Cork. The title Viscount Avonmore became extinct in 1910.
Blake (Meelick) The Blake family of Meelick in the barony of Leitrim, county Galway, were descended from the Blakes of Menlo. It was probably through the marriage of Dominick Blake and Mary Yelverton of Belleisle, county Tipperary that they acquired the estate at Meelick, since the Yelverton family, later Viscounts Avonmore, held lands in that part of county Galway. According to Weir this branch of the Blake family also owned property in Carmarthanshire in Wales.