Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Domvile


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fitzmaurice The Fitzmaurices held three townlands in the parish of Balla, barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo and also a townland in the parish of Manulla, barony of Carra. At the time of the first Ordnance Survey the Fitzmaurices were also leasing some of the estate of Sir C. Domville in the parish of Templemore, barony of Gallen. In 1858 the estate of 424 acres was put up for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court. A document in the Plunket Papers in PRONI records the purchase of the lands of Legaturn, part of the lands of Ballykerrigan and the lands of Ballymakeogh, in the barony of Clanmorris by William Robbins Falkiner on 19 June 1858 for £4900.
Trench (Heywood) The Trenchs of Garbally, county Galway, from whom the Heywood, county Laois branch are descended, bought lands in the baronies of Carra and Gallen, county Mayo, from the Brownes of Westport at the end of the 17th century. In 1833 the Trenchs of Heywood sold their county Mayo estate to Sir Compton Domvile of Templeogue and Santry, county Dublin, for £60,000. Sir C. Domvile had married Helen Sarah Trench of Heywood in 1815. Sir Frederick William Trench (1777-1859) of Heywood, an army officer and politican, owned a large estate in county Roscommon, in the parishes of Taghboy, Kiltoom, Kilmeane, Taghmaconnell and Dysart, barony of Athlone. When he died he left his Irish property to his eldest sister, the wife of Sir C. Domvile.
Domvile The Domviles bought the county Mayo estate of the Trench family of Heywood, ,Queen's County [county Laois] in 1833. Following the death of Sir Frederick William Trench in 1859 the Domviles inherited his estate in county Roscommon. Sir Compton Domvile had married Helena Sarah, the eldest sister of Sir Frederick W. Trench, in 1815. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Domvile estate was located mainly in the parishes of Manulla, barony of Carra, Killasser, barony of Gallen and Aghamore, barony of Clanmorris. Lands in county Tipperary, formerly the property of Christopher Domville, deceased, were sold in the Landed Estates Court in April 1863. The purchaser was Edward Egan. In December 1865 the county Roscommon estate of the Domviles amounting to 5779 acres in the baronies of Athlone and Moycarn was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court. Most of it was purchased by the Waithmans. In 1876 the Domviles of Heywood, Abbeyleix, owned 6,040 acres in county Mayo and other estates in counties Dublin and Laois. By March 1916 the sale of the estate to the Congested Districts' Board had been accepted by the Domviles. The National Library holds a large collection of Domvile estate papers.
Waithman Robert William Waithman, a member of a Lancashire family, came to Ireland in the 1860s and purchased estates in the Landed Estates' Court. The Irish Times reports on his acquisition of the Moyne estate for £14,000 in March 1867. He also bought Moyvannon Castle in county Roscommon and Merlin Park in county Galway. His second wife, Arabella, was a sister of Lady Gregory. In the 1870s Robert W. Waithman owned 3,432 acres in county Galway, 1,109 acres in the town of Galway and 4,631 acres in county Roscommon. Merlin Park, which was bought by the Waithmans in 1876, continued in the family's ownership for three generations until it was acquired by the Irish State as a tuberculosis sanatorium. 366 acres and 1,625 acres of Robert W. Waithman's county Roscommon were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in 1912 and 1913 respectively.