A Westport family.
|Higgins (Westport)||According to Burke's Landed Gentry the Higgins or O'Higgins family had been extensive landowners in Connacht until they lost their estates under Cromwell. Their estates were partially restored in the reign of Charles II but lost again at the end of the 17th century following the death of Colonel Hugh O'Higgins at the siege of Athlone in 1690. His widow and son Charles settled at Moyna, Co Mayo, part of the estate of the Brownes of Westport. In 1749 Charles Higgins, grandson of the previously mentioned Charles, married Mary Fitzgerald of Turlough, Castlebar. The Higgins family continued to hold property in the town of Westport from the Marquessess of Sligo in the 19th century. One member of the family Charles Fitzgerald Higgins went bankrupt in the mid 1850s. In 1866 he sold his property at Streamstown, parish of Oughaval, which he held from the Earl of Lucan. In 1851 the Higgins family bought part of the Glencorrib estate, which was sold by Arthur Dillon Browne following the death of his father Robert in 1850 and the townland of Ballynalty from the sale of the Cannon estate by John Fair. Like Robert Dillon Browne, George Gore Ouseley Higgins represented county Mayo in Parliament. He died in 1874 and after the death in 1903 of his sister, a nun in the Ursuline Convent, Cork, the estate was inherited by his cousin, General John Palmer Brabazon, a member of the Brabazon family of Brabazon Park, Swinford. It was sold in 1921 to the Land Commission.|