The Kilboyne, Spencer Park and Newcastle branches of the O'Malley family were descended from Owen O'Malley of Burrishoole (1650-1738)and his wife Martha Browne of the Neale.
|Alderson, Farrer and Law||At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Honourable Sir E.H.Alderson, James W. Farrer and George Law held ten townlands on Clare Island, parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, county Mayo, previously part of the O'Malley of Kilboyne estate.|
|Law Life Assurance Society||At the time of Griffith's Valuation this company held two townlands in the parish of Kilgeever, barony of Murrisk, nine townlands in the parish of Kilmeena, barony of Burrishoole, four townlands in the parish of Aglish and one townland in the parish of Turlough, barony of Carra, previously the estate of Sir Samuel O'Malley of Kilboyne, county Mayo. In county Galway they had taken over the vast estate of the Martins of Ballinahinch which was heavily mortgaged to them. The estate included lands in the parishes of Ross, Ballindoon, Ballynakill, Omey, Moyrus, Kilcummin, Killannin, Moycullen and Rahoon, in the baronies of Ross, Ballynahinch, Moycullen and Galway. In 1853 the estate had been surveyed by Thomas Colville Scott for a prospective buyer but the sale never happened. Members of the Robinson family of Roundstone were agents to the Society and later to the Berridge family. The ''Return of Proprietors" in the 1870s records the Society as holding over 165,000 acres in county Galway. An undated sales rental in the National Archives records the sale of the Law Life Assurance Society's county Mayo estate by Frederick Flint and Sons, auctioneers, Dublin, including the purchases made by Mr McDonnell and J.William Kelly of St Helens, Westport. The Congested Districts' Board bought just over 4,000 acres of Clare Island on 15 Mar 1895.|
|Bourke (Ballynew)||The Bourkes of Ballynew, parish of Aglish, near Castlebar, county Mayo, held a small townland from Sir Samuel O'Malley of Kilboyne and later from the Law Life Assurance Society. They advertised the sale of their lease in 1860. The Bourkes also held the townland of Carrowjames, parish of Drum, barony of Carra, which they sold in 1851 to Eliza Mary Jones. In 1864 Mrs Jones was advertising Carrowjames for sale again. Some evidence suggests that a branch of the Miller family of Milford, barony of Kilmaine, were resident at Ballynew from the early 18th century and in 1811 Dorothea Miller married Patrick Bourke of Ballynew.|
|O'Malley (Kilboyne)||Burke's Peerage states that Owen O'Malley of Milcum and Burrishoole, county Mayo, married Anne, sister of John Chambers of Kilboyne, in 1763. They had no children but Owen O'Malley's son by his second wife was Sir Samuel O'Malley, who had extensive estates in the baronies of Burrishoole and Carra. He was in serious financial difficulty by the end of the Famine and his estates known as Burren, Ballynew, Kilboyne, Kilmeena, Cahir, Carrowmore and Clare Island in the baronies of Burrishoole, Murrisk and Carra were sold to the Law Life Assurance Society. Sir Samuel O'Malley retained the townland of Cregganbell.|