Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McCormack


Estate(s)

Name Description
McLoughlin The McLoughlins held extensive lands in the parishes of Achill and Burrishoole, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, on perpetual leases from Thomas John Medlycott, the Earls of Altamont/Marquesses of Sligo and the O'Donels of Newport in the 18th and 19th centuries. Their estate of 12,733 acres with a rental of £1,478 was one of the first sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1850. Part of it was bought by William McCormack of the Irish Beetroot and Sugar Manufacturing Company and the Newfield estate was bought by Henry J. Smith. Property in and around Newport was sold in the Landed Estates Court in May 1866. It was purchaed in trust by Robert Neilson.
Dickins In 1876 the Dickins family from [Coolhurst, Surrey], England, owned nearly 8,000 acres in the barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, at one time part of the McLoughlin of Newfield estate. It is probable that they bought the estate of William McCormack in 1874.
McCormack In the early 1850s William McCormack of the Irish Beetroot and Sugar Manufacturing Company bought most of the estate of the McLoughlins of Newfield in the parish and barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo. In April 1874 over 8,000 acres in the barony of Burrishoole belonging to William McCormack, including the Curraun estate and property in Newport held from the Marquess of Sligo, were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court and appears to have been bought by the Dickins family. In 1870s a number of McCormacks with Dublin addresses held a considerable acreage in county Mayo, including John McCormack who owned 2,629 acres in county Mayo and 936 acres in county Cork. 428 acres belonging to Cormac McCormick were vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 31 Mar 1915.
Lambart In 1876 Frederick J.W. Lambart, 8th Earl of Cavan, owned 1900 acres on Achill Island and in 1888 the Earl's wife sold the property to Mrs Agnes McDonnell. The estate was bought by the Earl of Cavan from John Goodacre in the early 1870s.