Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Simes


Estate(s)

Name Description
O'Donel Some of the O'Donnells of Ulster settled in county Mayo in the 17th century, initially in the Ballycroy area. From there they branched out into Achill and by the 1760s were in the Newport area. They are believed to have been heavily involved in the smuggling trade and by 1781 were prosperous enough to purchase the estate belonging to the old Abbey of Cong on the Mayo/Galway border. In 1785 they bought the lease of the Manor of Burrishoole from the Medlycotts, which established them as the main landowners in the barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo. Patrick Knight, writing in 1836, stated that they also owned 30,000 acres in the barony of Erris. By 1850 the O'Donels were in severe financial difficulties. Much of the Achill part of their estate was bought by the Trustees for the Achill Mission in the early 1850s and the Cong estate was sold to Joseph Lambert and Manus Prendergast, trustees to Alexander C. Lambert. The sale of the different lots of the O'Donel estate is summarized in Appendix 2 of Peter Mullowney's thesis. In 1876 Sir Richard A. O'Donel of Newport and his son George still held over 7,500 acres in county Mayo. In 1911 Melicent Agnes Thomas O'Donel sold the remainder of the O'Donel estate to the Congested Districts' Board at the suit of the Scottish Amicable Life Assurance Society to whom it had been mortgaged.
Simes Nathaniel P. Simes bought 7,719 acres in five townlands in the parish of Burrishoole, barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, for £4,000 from the sale of the O'Donel of Newport estate in the Encumbered Estates' Court in the early 1850s. Much of the Simes estate was in the possession of the Stanuell family in the late 19th century. For more information about Teevmore see http://familyhistory.oram.ca/burrishoole/?page_id=1345
Stanuell In the 1890s Charles A. Stanuell held 7,672 acres at Letterkeen, Srahrevagh and Srahmore in the barony of Burrishoole, county Mayo, formerly part of the estate of Nathaniel P. Simes. The Simes/Stanuell estate was originally part of the estate of the O'Donels of Newport and head rent was paid to the Marquess of Sligo. Records in the Westport Estate Papers in the National Library document the Stanuell estate at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century.