Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gamble/Gambell

Description

Arthur Gamble of Washbrook, county Westmeath married in 1860 Alicia Frances Fetherstonhaugh of Carrick, county Westmeath, a granddaughter of Elizabeth Orme.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bingham (Bingham's Castle) The Bingham family of Newbrook, parish of Robeen, county Mayo, later Barons Clanmorris, inherited half the estate of Sir Arthur Shaen in the barony of Erris through a marriage in 1738. Denis Bingham, a younger son, settled in the Belmullet peninsular in the late 1790s and built Bingham's Castle. The Binghams of Erris are descended from him and from his brother, Henry of Annagh. Theresa Bingham Daly lists the undivided moiety of the Binghams in the barony of Erris in a quote from the will of Henry Bingham of Newbrook, dated 22 Dec 1789 (see page 78). The Binghams also held land in the parish of Kilfian, barony of Tirawley, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1855. In the previous year almost 13,000 acres were offered for sale in the barony of Erris by the Bingham family. In 1876 Denis Bingham owned 4827 acres in county Mayo, Arthur Shaen Bingham of Doolough owned 1662 acres and female members of the family, mainly residing in Kingstown and Dalkey, county Dublin, owned another 17,000 acres, see the family trees in McCalmont's book. Much of Denis Bingham's estate in the barony of Erris was sold in the Landed Estates' Court in 1878. Property owned by Elizabeth Eleanor and Gerald Henry Bingham, in the barony of Erris, was advertised for sale in the Land Judges' Court in November 1889.
Gamble/Gambell A family who settled in the barony of Erris early in the 18th century when they were leased lands by Sir Arthur Shaen. Arthur Gamble sold his life interest in more than 400 acres in county Mayo in November 1872, along with 609 acres in county Westmeath. The Irish Times reported that the Mayo property was sold to Mr. James C. MacDonnell. On 5 June 1860 Arthur Gamble of Washbrook, county Westmeath married Alicia Frances, daughter of William Fetherstonhaugh of Carrick, county Westmeath. Their second daughter, Alicia Fanny, married Henry Charles Gregory, solicitor and Land Commissioner in 1884 as his second wife.