Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bournes


Estate(s)

Name Description
Farrell The Farrell family held lands in the Barony of Tirerrill, County Sligo. In May 1854 Fergus Farrell offered for sale lands at Carrickbanagher and Coolteen. The sale notice indicates that portions of these lands formed part of a fee-farm grant from Richard Coote, Lord Colloney to Morgan Farrell in 1667. The Freeman's Journal reported that they were purchased in trust for Alderman Farrell at a cost of over £10,000. Later, in 1856, William Ferrall offered for sale lands at Levally, barony of Tirerrill. Both Henry Lyons and Harloe Trumble Phibbs held interests in these lands. In the 1870s Edward Farrell, with an address at Capel St., Dublin, was the owner of over 1200 acres in county Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation Fergus Farrell, son of James J.C.Farrell of Gibralter House, county Sligo, held the townland of Muingnabo containing 2991 acres in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris, county Mayo. The property was held on a lease renewable for ever, Sir Arthur Shaen to Thomas Bournes dated 10 June 1707. In 1828 Fergus Farrell had married Alicia Bournes, widow of James Peter Ruttledge.
Fawcett (Ballykinlettragh) The Fawcetts were resident on the townlands of Ballykinlettragh, parish of Kilfian, and Ballinglen, parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey c 1838. Lewis records Mount Glynne, the residence of J. Faussett, and Gross Lodge of R. Faussett. John and Richard Fausett MD were brothers and they had sisters: Jane who married Reverend Francis Little, Anne who married Andrew Watts and Mary who married Robert Mostyn. John Fawcett was agent to his sister, Mrs Watts, who was leasing Glencolry Lower from the Knoxes of Castlereagh. John Fausett married Matilda, widow of John Knox of Stoneville, Crossmolina. They were also connected to the Bournes family of Rossport.
Watts Quinn writes that a Cromwellian soldier named Watts was granted the estate known as Mount Falcon, in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo and that his descendants were eventually bought out by the Knoxes. This was Captain Edward Watts who was granted over 2,000 acres in the barony of Tirawley in 1668. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record that a Mrs Ann Watts, (widow of Andrew), leased part of the townland of Glencalry Lower, parish of Doonfeeny and that John Fawcett was her agent. John Fawcett/Fausett was also her brother. Lewis records Mrs Watts of Glynne Castle, parish of Dunfeeny. Her two daughters, Maria and Frances, married Samuel and Henry Bournes of Rossport.
Bournes In 1707 the Bournes family, Cromwellian settlers from Castle Connor, county Sligo, acquired lands in the Rossport area, barony of Erris, county Mayo, from Sir Arthur Shaen. Branches of the family were established at Rossport, Carrownaglogh or Stonefield and Portacloy, parish of Kilcommon. In 1855 George Smith Bournes, eldest son of Samuel Bournes of Rossport House and his wife Maria Watts, daughter of Andrew Watts of Ballinglen, county Mayo married Elizabeth Hartley Isabella Wallace, eldest daughter of Charles P. Wallace formerly of Lime Park, county Galway. The Countess of Wessex descends from this marriage, seehttp://www.thepeerage.com/p10414.htm#i104136. Almost 3000 acres of John Bournes estate in county Mayo was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in November 1867 but the sale was adjourned due to only one bid being placed. In 1876 members of the Bournes family living in Clara, county Offaly, owned 5760 acres in county Mayo. Most of the estate was sold to the Land Commission in 1926.
Ruttledge (Togher) James Ruttledge of Tawnaghmore, parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, had a son, David, who succeeded to some of the Ruttledge estates under the will (1766) of his uncle, Peter Ruttledge of Cornfield. David died in 1825 and his son George took possession of the estates, which were mainly in the parish of Robeen, barony of Kilmaine. George was married to Eleanor Anne Bournes of Castleconnor, county Sligo. He sold his estates in the counties of Mayo and Galway amounting to 4529 and 1248 acres respectively in 1851. Robert Fair and John Hood were among the purchasers in the parish of Robeen, county Mayo and St George Johnston, the Blakes of Menlo and the Brownes of Carrownacregg of parts of the county Galway estate. At the time of Griffith's Valuation George Ruttledge held the townland of Ballywalter in the parish of Robeen.
Wallace The house at Limepark is recorded as the seat of C. Wallace in 1837. Horatio Wallace was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Aughrim at the time of Griffith's Valuation. In December 1858 he and his wife Maria Jane, offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court lands in the baronies of Tyrawley, county Mayo, Corran, county Sligo and Kilconnell, county Galway. The original lease dated from 1783, the lands in Corran being leased between the Ormsby estate and Matthew Fleming. J.E. Wallis of Beaufort Square, London, is recorded as owning over 400 acres in county Galway in the 1870s.