Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Ormsby (Rinagry)

Description

Possibly a junior branch of the Gortnaraby family.


Estate(s)

Name Description
Ormsby (Gortnaraby) By the late 17th century a branch of the Ormsby family had settled at Cloghans, parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, Co Mayo and was established at Gortnaraby, parish of Crossmolina, by the mid 18th century. Their estates included land in the parishes of Crossmolina, Kilfian, Doonfeeny and Kilbelfad in the barony of Tirawley and in the parishes of Ballyhean and Drum in the barony of Carra. In 1851 4223 acres of their property was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court, however they appear to have retained their estate in the barony of Tirawley. In 1876 John Ormsby's estate amounted to 3186 acres, while his uncle, Reverend Horatio Ormsby of Mallow, county Cork, owned 1,114 acres in county Mayo. By March 1916 Colonel John Beecher Ormsby had accepted an offer for the purchase of the estate from the Congested Districts' Board.
Ormsby (Rinagry) A small estate in the parish of Kilbelfad, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, held by a junior branch of the Ormsby family of Gortnaraby. At the time of Griffith's Valuation they were leasing from Edward S. Pery. In 1876 the estate amounted to 553 acres. In the mid 19th century another family member, Duke Ormsby, held two townlands in the parish of Doonfeeny.